Friday, 10 December 2010

twirling, twirling, twirling towards the end of 2010...

So, how organised are you for the silly season?  I have done a little bit of Christmas shopping... but this year we decided we were not going to spend a fortune.  As a child I remember maybe 2 or 3 gifts that I got BUT I DO remember all the fun we used to get up to.  I wanted to try give my children the same sorts of happy childhood memories I had, rather than another pile of plastic crap.  So we are doing the whole "getting back to the REAL spirit of Christmas" thing.  

We have already finished school.  Early yes... but I am one of those parents that LOVES school holidays... and (or maybe because) I have kids that know how to sleep in!  Bliss! ;)  So we have lots of NOTHING planned... getting bored teaches children how to entertain themselves I say! ;) There will be swimming lessons and a few family outings and catching up with extended family of course... and we have a few unfinished projects around the house we want to get completed... but mostly just a lot of relaxing.

We had our very own Little Elves Workshop to make the girls' classmates' gifts...  it was just a lolly pop and a computer printout... very quick, very simple... all done the morning before school started on their last day!  Did I tell you what a last minute sort if person I am???  Still, they had fun attaching the lolly pops and passing them out at school. ;)


I can't quite believe my baby girl is going to be a big Grade 1 kid next year!  I only hope she gets another teacher as wonderful as these two have been this year. Thanks Miss Comp and Mrs Fraser.


... and we have been to Carols by Candlelight.


... and had our twins playgroup Christmas party.


Even my darling husband played along and helped put up the tree! ;)


We are not devoutly religious but to me Christmas is about giving and being with family, spending time catching up with friends, taking time to enjoy each other's company and being aware of the blessings we have, home and hearth and all that mushy stuff that we don't really take time to indulge in enough.  Christmas is a time to stop and take stock of all that we have and to focus on all that is good.  

We believe in Father Christmas and the magic too... I was asked once how I had my (then 11 year old) son still "believing" in Santa... I was a bit puzzled by the question to be honest... and I said, "Don't YOU believe in Father Christmas?"  She looked at me weird... so I explained... Father Christmas (my kids call him Santa... but I will stick with Father Christmas!)... doesn't have to be a fat guy in a red suit that comes down the chimney... it's the IDEA of Father Christmas... the spirit of giving... the MAGIC, the wonder and all that wonderful stuff that we believe in... Do YOU still believe in Father Christmas?  I sure do and so does my (now almost 19 year old) son... even if I do get the "bah humbug" look when I am taking photos!!!! ;)


So this year I am taking each of my kids shopping on their own... just me and one of them at a time.  So it serves several purposes... they get some precious and rare alone time with Mum (we will see a movie, have lunch and shop at our leisure), they get to do their own Christmas shopping for all their brothers and sisters and Dad (thereby getting into the whole spirit of giving thing) and all the shopping gets done bit by bit instead of one mad dash by me on Christmas Eve (I am a notorious leave it to the last possible moment person!).  Their father then gets the dubious pleasure of taking them all shopping to get their mother one spectacular combined gift... yep, I've got it all figured out don't I????! hehehehe ;)

Pop back in an hour or so... we are having a Twiddleybitz blog hop this weekend.  Starting at the ning site.  Come along and join in the fun... you might even win a prize! ;)

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Love your blog anne-marie! My boys are 18 and 13 and no santa visit this yr but they are still enjoying the 'spirit' of xmas! i take them shopping like you and they love it!
Thanks for sharing! x