Wednesday, 16 June 2010

It's a proud, PROUD day

Just had to share (for family record keeping purposes)... I think most of you know my darling oldest boy is Autistic.  He is high functioning but we still struggle with a lot of "stuff"... it's hard to explain without writing a novel (and I might do just that one day) so I am not going into it all here again but we have been (finally) getting some real and useful help from AIM, the Autism Association of WA's Employment Service. 

I can't begin to explain what it feels like to finally be getting somewhere and seeing tangible results.  It is like a hand has reached down and pulled our heads just ever so slightly above the waves.  Not to be melodramatic but... and I know there are lots of you who will just "get it" when I say this... we have been slowly drowning and feeling totally overwhelmed with what the future would hold for this fantastic kid who just needs a little helping hand and an opportunity to show how much he CAN do rather than been constantly defeated and confused by the world.  I have always said that it was when Brad left school that we were really going to need help but I have always feared we wouldn't get that help.  Well we jumped through all the hoops and got a referral to AIM.  They said they would help and they have...  I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.  

Brad had his first day of work experience at a local(ish) pharmacy today.  It was to be two weeks of work experience with the possibility of it turning into paid work... maybe... if it all turned out favourably and went well for both him and them. 

One day in and they were so happy with him that they offered him a position already!  He starts his first "real" job next week! 

I am so very proud of you my son... but best of all YOU are proud of YOURSELF. 

Best reward a mother could ask for... seeing your child succeed is like a dose of life's elixir!  Feeling  like I could walk on air.  I needed that. ;) 

Hang tough ASD parents... our kids only choose the best because they know you can stand up and go into bat for them when they need you.  You are stronger than you think and smarter than you know.  I know there will be more challenges along the way... but I am savouring this win for now. ;) 

7 comments:

vanesssa gordon said...

Awesome - well done

Rebecca Beattie said...

That is some fantastic news for you AM. So happy for him. Congats to your not so little anymore man! And congrats to you guys for obviously doing such a fantastic job :) xxxx

suzitee said...

This post has brought a tear to my eye. You deserve to feel proud, I can only imagine the struggle you have gone through to get to this point. Well done to Brad...awesome news :)

Nerrida said...

Wonderful news! Fantastic. Well done to Brad. Loved looking around you're blog too.

Anonymous said...

This has bought tears to my eyes too AM! You are one amazing mum who never gave up on that gorgeous big boy of yours!
Brad - you rock!
Melis XX

Tracey said...

OMG this has made me cry. I am so happy for you all. I can only imagine how it must be for you all. Please pass my congrats onto your son, what a marvelous achievement... and on his first day.
love me :-)

Sarah aka Byclops said...

That's fantastic AM. We've been through something similar with my eldest nephew so I know what you're going through. That's great news well done Brad!