Friday, 13 November 2009

A lesson in what NOT to do...

I DO HAVE PICTURES... BUT STUPID BLOGGER IS PLAYING WITH MY HEAD AND WON'T LET ME UPLOAD... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... I think the files may be corrupted! I will have to go in and take some more photos!!!! The lovely Vicki at Tomorrow's Memories gave me a Twiddleybitz Christmas Tree to play with... now I have to start by saying I have never been a big fan of OTPs but when Vicki showed it to me I had to have one... they are just gorgeous... and ideas started whirling in my head immediately. I had originally decided to paint it white and add a crackle medium but that didn't really work... painting it was a little fiddly but ok... just my crackle medium didn't really work as well as I would have liked (in fairness it has been sitting on my desk for eons... does it lose its "crackliness" I wonder???)... So then when I lifted it off the newspaper I had it sitting on some of the newsprint came off on it and I thought, "Mmmmmm that looks really cool." From there I decided to do the whole thing like this... but while looking through the paper for a page of plain print (which I couldn't find... have you noticed that the newspaper has colour on almost EVERY page now? I used to work for a newspaper in advertising and colour was only ever on the front page... but I digress...) I found a picture of Father Christmas with musical notes behind him which then led me to think of the sheet music I have... and how much I LOVE Christmas Carols... bear with me ;) ... so in my infinite wisdom I think, "I'll cover the tree (both sides mind... yep, I am a glutton for punishment that's for sure) with coffee stained sheet music." At this point (as I am soaking the sheets of music in coffee) my husband asks, "Did your brain just have a fart?" Charming man, but "I'll show YOU!" I thought to myself. OK so this is about where I should have heeded his remark and cut my losses... but oh no, not me... I pressed on... too impatient to wait for the sheets to dry I thought they'd be easier to work with a bit damp. They were not. Throwing good time after bad now, I was too far in to stop. I covered the tree in Modge Podge and stuck the sheets on both sides and then painted them (one side at a time, drying in between) in another coat of Modge Podge... this is DEFINTELY the point at which I saw the folly of the task before me... but again... too far in to stop now. Cutting the paper away with a craft knife took me two two hour sessions... then probably another solid hour of sanding the edges which really didn't work all that well... but it would just have to do... I had scraps of paper and fine saw dust EVERYWHERE!!! Hind sight, 20/20 vision and all... perhaps it would have been easier to cut and sand BEFORE I coated it Modge Podge... derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! So at this point I am thinking OMG this looks absolutely SHITE, my fingers are aching, my nails have Modge Podge wedged under them and I have cut myself at least twice... and I am too embarrassed to actually take it into the store... my DH was not helping either... not-so-quietly chuckling under his breath every time he walked past me filing and cutting and cursing away. Eventually I got it all filed and looking OKish... but think more shabby than chic... it really wasn't "doing it" for me IYKWIM... but still I pressed on. I am stubborn if nothing else and a “more is more” approach often works for me in these situations... throwing good time after bad... throwing good stash after bad... I started adding charms and bows and beads... Mmmmmm, starting to ever so slowly look half decent... if you sort of squint your eyes, stand five feet back and move your head back and forth a bit... then I decide it needs some photos for the little decorations that hang off it... ok this is where my brain had yet another fart... Modge Podge EVERYWHERE yet again... and my fingers are developing arthritis by now from fiddling with all the little bits and bobs. At some point I decided I would make a little bird to go in the tree... let us just call this BRAIN FART #3 shall we? I discover at this point that I most definitely CANNOT sew... I have had this lesson previously (on more than one occasion mind you) but I still go back for more frustration and bloody fingers... I swear I will never try it again... I suck... I DID NOT inherit any of my mother's amazing stitchery genes... my big sister obviously got my share of that family trait... just like the boobs. ;) The bird is lost among the mess on my scrap desk... we shall never speak of it again... So then I decide we need an angel to go on top of the tree... she was much more my skill level and with a bead for a head and a piece of calico she co-operated... and then I found some German Scrap gold wings to finish her off. At this point my DH had gone away for the night... so no more smart arsed remarks from him! So it is all starting to look not so bad now... until I decide the little hanging decorations (with the photos) would look better "tizzed up" a bit and start punching holes, adding bling, more charms and even more ribbon... oh and on the back a digital journaling block for each of their names... which took me FOREVER to get the printer installed on my laptop (so as not to disturb His Royal Highness the LORD OF LIGHT & DARK WoWer who needs to have my PC keyboard surgically removed from his fingers atm!!!!) and then another eternity to actually get it printed out the right size and YOU CANNOT EVEN !@#$ING SEE WHEN IT IS ALL ASSEMBLED!!!!! By now it is 3am... but I kinda, sorta think I am actually starting to like it... but then again it could just be that my eyes are blurring from lack of sleep... we'll see in the morning. Next morning, up at 6:30am to booby feed babies and get the girls off to school... three coffees later I really do think I like it... even DH conceded I had pulled it from the brink of disaster... so all in all I sorta, kinda think it looks ok... Now I hope I haven't put you completely off by now... because seriously they are lovely... and I am sure you can learn from my mistake... just don't try covering something so intricate and ornate in paper... unless you have the patience of a saint... or a BIG bottle of wine (it will look better through an alcohol induced haze). Then again it probably wouldn’t have been so difficult had I not Modge Podge'd it before cutting and sanding... go figure... you learn something every day hey? ;) Next time I want to try painting an undercoat and then heat embossing with a script type stamp... but then again, knowing me, that will be a whole other disaster story in the making... I can smell the burned chipboard and scorched fingers already!!! ;)

AH HA!  Thanks to my darling husband's, gorgeous cousin's, SUPER TECHNO-HERO Husband... I can now finally share a photo of my tree... I hope you kinda, sorta like it too! ;) 

13 comments:

byclops said...

hahahahah cant wait to actually SEE it now :)

kathie said...

Oh, I am laughing! I can so relate to every step of your making, including the brain farts that seem so wonderful at the time.

Can't wait to see your creation. And, if it's the tree I'm thinking of, damn straight it's fiddly!

Vicki said...

You had me laughing all the way through this blog entry!!! I saw the tree IRL today and thought it was amazing and then upon closer inspection I realised how bloody long it must have taken you to do it. Thank you for your patience and preserverence....you have created a fantastic sample for the shop. We will proudly tell everyone of your struggles and suggest what NOT to do!!!!
Thanks heaps...I love it!!!
Vicki

Vicki said...

PS. I will try and remember to take of photo of it and send it through to you soon....Vicki

Vicki said...

Everyone at the Moonlight last night fell in love with this tree..some are even brave enough to try a version of yours!

Rebecca Beattie said...

WHAT A GOOD READ!! Enjoyed reading your antics with this one! Would LOVE to see a photo seeing the store is just too far away. Bet it looks AWESOME!! xxx

Coops said...

Without pictures, It didn't happen. Sorry, that's just a rule of the Internet.

Binxcat1 said...

So THERE Coops! Photographic evidence! ;)

Tiff Sawyer said...

Oh man, that is one fine tree and worth all the hassle I'm sure LOL for such an awesome result!!!!! I'm with Bec, love your antics too and can't get enough of em :):):)

Jenni Hodge said...

Love your tree and the ups and downs with your perseverance and determination makes it all the more wonderful!

Coops said...

Looks insanely complicated. I always tell myself you don't need patience if you have perseverance. This means if I'd been doing this project, the tree would be bent, scorched and possibly an item that would arouse rage every time I saw it. So glad you're not like me. Keep up the fine work.

headwitch said...

OMG can't beleive you covered it in paper i am cringing just thinking about it. but what a beautiful OTP project you have made with you determination and talent of course. thank you for making me laugh too.

Scrapping Down a Lane said...

Stunning Binx :):):) Glad your such a stickler for showing Hubby YOU CAN!!! :):):)