Sunday, 19 April 2009

Introducing Austin Spencer and Albert James

Finally five minutes to get this posted... even though I have one on my boob as I type! As it turned out all the gory details aren't nearly so gory after all. I am almost embarrassed to say labour lasted all of an hour and a half... We arrived at the hospital bright and early and then waited around for about 45 minutes until my anesthetist arrived to give me an epidural. I had never had one before (yeah, I was a labour ward hero... no drugs for me thanks... I've had 3 natural births... tough chick extraordinaire!) so I have to tell you I was more than a little skeptical about the whole thing and really didn't want one... but that was more to do with the fear of having the epidural itself than wanting to go drug free. Anyway, both he (the anesthetist) and my doctor were very reassuring and convinced me it was the best course of action because if there was any problems with the second baby there would not be time to put one in then. Hats off to the anesthetist... I reckon it was all over and done in 5 minutes flat and it was far less painful than I had imagined. He only gave me a really low dose too so I could still move about easily. Then my doctor tried to break my waters... well, that wasn't exactly successful. Apparently I have very tough membranes. Whatever that means!! I am not so sure I like the sound of it in any case! LOL ;) So he suggests we start the drip to get my contractions started and hopefully that will also break my waters. By this stage I was thinking, "So here we go down the slippery slope of intervention and interference". Thankfully he was right and my contractions started soon after and my waters did break which was good. I could still feel every contraction (just with the edge of the pain taken off... which helped me stay completely focused and able to concentrate on what I was doing) and they did, as in all my other labours, progressively get stronger and closer... so no unpleasant surprises which was great. I seriously reckon I only had about 10 contractions before Twin 1 arrived. He did need a little help with the suction cap... little wonder he wasn't very deeply engaged, his cord was wrapped around him twice and then his wrist as well. Next was Twin 2's turn... he was sort of lying in a transverse position while his big (little) brother was being born but my midwife was able to push him in the right direction by pushing on my tummy. She held him in that position while my doctor broke the second amniotic sac and was able to get a hold of a foot. Though this little brat wasn't making it easy and kept pulling his foot up and out of reach. So Twin 2 was born breech with very little fuss or bother 7 minutes later with only 4 or 5 more decent pushes . Very nicely if you please! LOL ;) I had a student midwife come to watch which was really good because my midwife was explaining everything to her as it was going on which was really reassuring for me as well. Apparently there are very few breech births these days so she was really grateful to have gotten to see the procedure. My doctor made it look like he delivered breech babies every other day... and I have to tell you I was feeling a bit of a legend when everyone was saying how amazing I was! LOL ;) It was all such a great experience with no panic or worry and I was made to feel completely at ease and confident through the whole thing. Really, I couldn't have asked for a better labour. After all the poking, prodding and Apgar scores were done we had time to ourselves with the two little darlings and I breast fed Twin 1 in the delivery suite. Then when all their statistics were recorded I had a shower and got dressed. They took both the babies up to the nursery (with Dad to keep an eye on them) at that point as Twin 1's blood sugar level was on the low side, only just but they wanted to be sure... thankfully it did improve after only a few breast feeds. They served us lunch while we were still on the labour ward and then we went to be checked into our room. All very civilized indeed! Not that I am complaining but it all still seems just a bit too easy I reckon! Austin Spencer (left) after my Maternal Great Grandfather and one of my brothers: 09/04/09 @ 10:40am; Weight: 2430g (5lb 5oz); Length: 45cm; HC: 33.5cm Albert James (right) named after Aaron's Paternal Grandfather and my other brother: 09/04/09 @ 10:47am; Weight: 2980g (6lb 9oz); Length: 48cm; HC: 35.5cm We came home on the following Monday (Day 5). Even though I said I was going to stay as long as they would have me I got bored and (dare I say it) I actually found myself missing my DH and kids!!! Plus I was getting sick of being woken up for obs and the bed was too hard! It was like bliss sleeping back in my own bed with NO FAT TUMMY!!!! LOL ;) Anyway, so far so good... they are both breast feeding really well and sleeping reasonably well. I am feeling great and getting enough sleep but I don't know if I can say the same for poor DH!!! LOL ;) I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when the happy juice runs out and we are all going insane!!! ;) Thanks so much to everyone for all you lovely thought and wishes... it means a lot to know you are all thinking of us. Oh and Coops if you are reading... Rat Face is on the left... Smeg Head on the right! Trash is exhausted and sleeping soundly as I type... I mean the poor guy has to get his rest after all he has been through!!!! hehehehe LOL ;) Bye for now and love to you and yours...

34 comments:

Aga said...

Congratulaitons to you and your family on the arrival of your beautiful babies Anne-Marie!! I am so happy to read that all went well and look forward to more gorgeous pics of your little bundles of joy :)
Aga xx

miasmummy said...

AM your babies are so gorgeous!! Well done, sounds like you almost enjoyed your labour! Glad to see some photos and glad to hear it's going well!
Mmmm, new babies.....
x

miasmummy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Smith said...

wow wow wow

fantastic news ...double the delight...I cannot believe that you had such a quick labour, and a pretty non eventful recovery..Well Done super mummy!!!

suzitee said...

A big congratulations to you and your family Anne-Marie...your new babies are just divine!
Susan xxx
(Tomorrows Memories DT)

Crazymumm said...

arrrrrrrrrr look at these two little handsome guys xxx And A.M you look divine and your a super Mum already hun xxx So happy all went so well. BIG Welcome to Austin & Albert :)

Sharmaine said...

Congrats, glad they arrived safely.

Coops said...

Excellent work AM. Very pleased for you and Trash that all went well. They don't like monkeys at all, which is strange!!! Coincidentally, I've been doing research for my book about newborns, so I'll try to catch up with you and get some inside info if and when you feel up to it.

I hope Trash is going to be OK too.

Never lose this blog AM. It is an invaluable record to pass on to your kids.

Tiff Sawyer said...

Congratulations Ann-Marie, I bet this beats any of your scrapbooking achievements hands down LOL!!! They really are so very beautiful, all the best, Tiff :o)

Shazz said...

i am a bit of a lurker Anne-Marie but would like to pass my congrats on to you and your family on the birth of your beautiful baby boys.
loved reading your birth story (well done by the way)
may your precious boys bring much love, happiness and sunshine to your live xo

Louise Williams said...

Awww they're gorgeous AM!! congratulations and I'm so glad it went pretty straight forward for you... I'll be reading the updates when the happy juice wears off LOL

big hugs to you!
L x

Anthea said...

Congratulations Anne-Marie, they are cuties alright!!!

Tomorrow's Memories said...

Congratulations Anne-Marie, we are all so excited for you!! Can't wait to meet Austin and Albert (they are absolutely devine) when you are up and about!!!!!!!!!!
Take care and we will catch up soon. xx :)

byclops said...

Congratulations AM they're gorgeous!!!

Vicki said...

It was absolutely inspiring reading about the birth of your little boys. Congrats and good luck for the coming weeks. Hope everyone settles into some sort of routine.
Vicki xx

Mel Connell said...

OMG!!!!! congrats honey! they are so gorgeous.

I can't wait to see you (and the boys) in person soon, I've missed you!

Mel

xx

Anthea said...

Hey Anne-Marie, I popped on over from the SM forum to check out your new additions. Congratulations to you and your family. You look great and your little boys are just beautiful! As a twin myself I think I might be a bit biased when I say, 'Twice as Nice, but NEVER Double the Trouble!'.

Jaimie R said...

A HUGE congrats to you guys on your gorgeous new additions. They are divine. Lucky you to have such a great bitth experience, I hope the next 18 years go as well for you all :) Jaimie xoxox

Megan B said...

Anne-Marie I am in awe of your courage to make the decision to give birth naturally, you are an absolute champion!! They must have been well worth it all, they look like pure angels. Good luck and bless you and your (now rather large) family.

SkyeMJ said...

AM, you just made me do that high pitched "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww' noise!
Those are some handsone looking little boys! and I love those names! Albert is so old school, its very charming!
Congratulations lovely!

Nicole said...

Welcome gorgeous little ones,

loved reading your account AM. I too did my three labours without pain relief and like you I'm more scared about the actual epiduaral than labour pains. PMSL

Congrats again hunny.

xx

Julie said...

Congrats AM, they are simply gorgeous! Glad to hear everything went well. My little man arrived on April 15, have updated my blog with all the details. Hopefully one of these days soon we can catch up again and introduce our little boys!
Julie
xx

kathie said...

Oh, how beautiful are they? Congratulations Ann-Marie!

Alice said...

YAY!!! AM!! COngrats to you and your family!
The two little guys are simply gorgeous!
I had a little giggle at the second twin moving his foot away. So cute.

Alice
xoxo

Lynette van Barrelo said...

Congratulations!!! They are gorgeous and look very yummy! Sounds like you had an 'Easy' time! Good for you!

Susan Longman said...

Congrats!!!! and might I say ...CUTE!!!!

ann_dee78 said...

congrats AM!
They are both gorgeous!!

tammytempleton said...

Wow AM :)
you did well hunny :)
Your new little men are just gorgeous!
A huge congratulations to you and your family :)
Hugs
Tam

Tracy said...

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your handsome little men :) Definitely double the pleasure and not double trouble, my twins have just turned 9 and it only gets better.
Enjoy your time with them coz they grow up far too quickly :)

Tracy x

Sonya Thair said...

Congrats to you and your family Ann-Marie they are just gorgeous little boys! All the best for the future also.
Sonya
xx

ChiLLi said...

grats Anne Marie! they are adorable!

Sar said...

Better late than never, but congrats!!! I did know the bubs were born...but hadn't had a chance to come and see for myself. Awesome job during the labour, what an amazing experience. Cheers, Sar

KateB said...

I know- I am so late in offering my congrats...how wonderful these two A's are! I bet that in the last month, they've grown leaps and bounds..can't wait to see their first layout!

Much love-KateB from Maryland usa

Shell Barnard said...

OMG AM I cannot believe I missed this. What 2 sweet, sweet bubba boys... Oh well, welcome to the twin club haha.
You will love being a twin mum. It is just a tad more trying and enjoyable than a singleton. You are gonna laugh like you have never laughed before. But most of all there is two to love, cuddle, kiss and to love you right back!!!

Well Done sweetheart!!! You ARE amazing!!
Shell xx