Wednesday, 12 December 2007

It's a proud, proud day...

You know what? I am proud of my boy... and it would seem I don't say that often enough... today he came home with his Certificate I General Education for Adults... and better still... he was proud of himself... that doesn't happen often. My son is almost 16 and he is autistic. School for him has been a constant battle and the cause of much anguish and dissappointment... and heart ache... and that's just me! LOL The previous two years in particular (high school) were really hard. However, this past year, he has been involved in a programme for kids who are "at risk" (educationally) and who have struggled in mainstream schooling. The teacher running the programme is ex-Army (SAS I think?) and he is still involved with training cadets. He has also taken this group on several cadet camps this year. To me he is a hero... he has made a huge difference in my DS's life... he will be one of those teachers that we will never forget. Thanks for everything Mr W. The focus of the programme has been on improving self esteem, taking responsiblilty and learning to find your place in society. The kids still attend school on the school grounds and share classes such as metal work and PE with the mainstream kids but the English Literacy and Maths academic side of things has been done through the local TAFE. The Certificate is the equivilant of Year 10... nothing super in that... but for him IT IS HUGE! It occurred to me today that I have never really bragged about his achievements as they have been modest compared with most others... especially all his cousins... but really, when I think about it, he has had to work twice (or even more) as hard as most to accomplish what he has and I am so proud of him. I guess we have never wanted him labelled as "learning impaired" or "disabled"... but the fact remains... he finds some of life's challenges overwhelming... organisation is a particular battle so for him to have gotten all his work handed in on time and to have achieved this is a big deal... and I am going to tell anyone who will listen! Good on you mate... big loves and hugs... yeah, I know I am embarrassing... but I love you mate! We organised a gift to give his teacher on behalf of the whole class and he even stood up in front of everyone and presented it and even said a few words in thanks... that's another pretty big deal for him... so yeah, having a good day today... just wanted to share.

12 comments:

Jodie said...

oh that is so awesome, good on him, i am so proud of him and i have never even met him, so you must be bursting at the seams.
such a great achievement!!! :D

maybe its cos his mum is so fantastic? :D

xx

Melissa said...

AM that is AMAZING!!! What a remarkable young man, I wish him all the best wishes for his future :-)))

Michelle Jamieson said...

Wonderful news, AM!!
I bet you're proud of him..Brag away, babe! :)

Chelle Xx

Lali said...

That is wonderful news AM and so you should be extremely proud of your young main WAY TO GO

Terri H said...

AWESOME news AM! Huge Congrats to your DS.

xoxo

Tez

phatassphairy said...

AM, i had tears steaming down my face reading this .....it offers a glimpse of hope in my heart for Hayden and the mirroing future that you and your sone have travelled .....i am so pleased for you that he has applied him self and not let those people who suffer from ignorance which seems to give them the right to intimidate those who struggle in life academically .....sending your son the hugest hug ......i am proud of you too ...well done mate....

Kelley said...

Awwww Im all proud for him too!! Thats awesome AM! I love hearing good things like that! You have to love them teachers dont you - Matt had one like that this year for his reading recovery program - he totally adores her! And he has worked so hard for her too.
LOVE your CJ a few posts down - WOWsers!! Its yummy!!!

Nicole said...

That's a brilliant achievement,

Oh and I got a gorgeous little gift from you on Friday. Been totally eyeing off German Scrap stuff for ages. so you made this little black duck smile all day long. Cannot wait to play with it.

Nicxx

Louise said...

Great Life Share AM, thanx :), just loved reading this post!!!

Melissa said...

YAY for B. Anne Marie....such a wonderful stepping stone into adulthood!
You have done a stirling job with your young man!
Say it loud and proud I say!

We are off to Gero...see you after mid Jan. for a coffee!

XX

Crazymumm said...

Dearest A.M....

"The Certificate is the equivilant of Year 10... nothing super in that... but for him IT IS HUGE!"

I am so glad you realised this... as a mother your love has shown what sort of MUM you are..... Year 10 is a huge thing in any childs life and thank you for sharing your sons moment with us xxx

memoryfairy said...

Awesome Binxy...shout it from the rooftops chickee!!